Can't Like Everything

 Everyone has different interests and likes different things

    We were asked to read other texts in my Intro to English class and two come to my mind right now. The first one being Kate Chopin's The Story of an Hour and also Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. I will go directly to the point, I didn't have that much pleasure in reading those two short stories. 

    One of the reasons, I didn't like The Story of an Hour is that I got a little bit confused reading it. I also think it was so short that we didn't have time to get to know the characters. We didn't have time to get attached to them or to hate them. Everything happens so quickly that we don't get to appreciate what actually happens. 

    The woman that is our main character, experiences a lot of emotions in a very small amount of time. We get told that she hates her husband, but also a heart disease, she thinks her husband doesn't let her make her own decisions. She dislikes where her life is going and wishes she could change it but feels like she is held in handcuffs by her man. When she learns her husband died in an accident, she suddenly becomes very happy, but only for a short period of time. She walks down the hospital and comes face to face with her husband that is in fact not dead. The story says she died from the joy she experienced. 

    Interpreter of Maladies wasn't enjoyable for me similar reasons but also because I think the end wasn't really finished. I feel like it's missing something to wrap it up the right way. I understand that in a short story, it can be hard to get into details but I think the author could've done a better job. Through these blogs I have talked about multiple short stories that were able to get into enough details to make us enjoy the reading and relate to something in them. Obviously, it can be done.

   I don't think those short stories are bad or were written by bad authors. The people that wrote those are well known authors and have written other acclaimed texts. These two texts were not close to wht I like and enjoy reading. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backgrounds: Very Good or Very Bad

People Aren't Born "Assholes"